Thursday, May 19, 2005

Vogues of 1938 - Art Deco Extravaganza

Vogues of 1938 starred Warner Baxter and Joan Bennett and was directed by Irving Cummings, but that doesn't matter. Hands down, the REAL star of the show was the Art Deco style. The period music just added to the whole package. The movie was one of those silly comedies with a madcap heiress and bad guy. It's funny how in the midst of the depression in the 1930's, so many movies were about petulant, bratty rich girls. Anyway, every scene had something different Art Deco, from signs, clothes, stair cases, architecture, circle bed/couch thingie, offices and ashtrays. I originally saw the movie on Turner Classic Movies, but I kept wanting to rewind to re-look at some Art Deco thing that just flitted by. Luckily, Netflix carries Vogues of 1938, so I'll soon be in Art Deco heaven again. I can watch the nighclub acts over and over again as much as I want.





Opening Credits Scene
Opening Credits Scene
Vogues of 1938 Poster
Movie Poster
DVD Cover
DVD Cover
If you have any suggestions for other movies with a lot of Art Deco, especially if
Netflix carries it, I'd like to hear about it.

No comments: